Re: Thrust washers et al

To: b-schleusner@ti.com
Subject: Re: Thrust washers et al
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 01:01:58 EST
On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:12:55 -0600 Bill Schleusner <b-schleusner@ti.com>
writes:

>       What is the estimated useful life of thrust washers?
>
>       Does driving style affect the useful life i.e. highway vs. city?
>
>       Why don't MGs have the same problem with thrust washers?
>
>       If this is/was such a known engineering defect why didn't Britsh
Leyland fix the problem?

Well Bill,

I been driving MGA 1500s (plural) for years, got about 100,000 miles on
the current one since the restoration, and take it autocrossing every
chance I get (lots).  I installed a competition pressure plate a while
back, really increased the clutch pedal pressure, so must have added a
lot to the thrust load.  I run the crap out of it, have tossed a few rod
bearings in my day, and even broke a couple of crankshafts, but still,
I've never had a thrust washer failure.  (Knock on wood).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude