Re: Thrust washers et al

To: kdodd@West.net
Subject: Re: Thrust washers et al
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 08:41:37 -0600 (CST)
Kelvin Dodd writes:
> [ ... ]  The real problem child is the 1500 engine,
> when the engine size was increased from 1296cc to 1500cc reliability
> went down the tubes.  The thrust washers would fail causing the rods to
> move sidways, finally the rod bearings would fail.  This was happening
> within 20-30,000 miles.  Something to watch out for in the late Midget.

Now, I'm no Midge guy, but it's my understanding that the 1296 Midge
engine is the BMC A Series, while the switch to the 1500 powerplant was
actually a switch to the Triumph Spitfire motor (when was this?  1975 or
so?).  If so, the above statement is quite misleading, and truth rightly
places the blame back in the Triumph camp.

Right?  Wrong?

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer in pieces (but getting there)
'72 MGB Tourer parts-o-rama

"I could go at any time..."