Re: Thrust washers et al

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Thrust washers et al
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:40:04 -0800
Todd Mullins wrote:

> Kelvin Dodd writes:
> > [ ... ]  The real problem child is the 1500 engine,
> > when the engine size was increased from 1296cc to 1500cc reliability
> > went down the tubes.  The thrust washers would fail causing the rods to
> > move sidways, finally the rod bearings would fail.  This was happening
> > within 20-30,000 miles.  Something to watch out for in the late Midget.
>
> Now, I'm no Midge guy, but it's my understanding that the 1296 Midge
> engine is the BMC A Series, while the switch to the 1500 powerplant was
> actually a switch to the Triumph Spitfire motor (when was this?  1975 or
> so?).  If so, the above statement is quite misleading, and truth rightly
> places the blame back in the Triumph camp.
>
> Right?  Wrong?

Absolutely RIGHT! BLMC couldn't get the 1295 engine clean enough to pass
US emissions so they used the Spitfire engine as a "work-around"
Somebody needs to do some homework, this reminds me of all the "experts"
who blasted MG for using the Healy 3000 engine in the MGC when in fact
it merely had the same bore and stroke but was otherwise a full redesign
with 7 mains instead of 4 etc etc.  Jarl