Re: Thrust washers et al

To: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@dynanet.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust washers et al
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:06:19 -0800 (PST)
> Todd Mullins wrote:
> >
> > Kelvin Dodd writes:
> > > [ ... ]  The real problem child is the 1500 engine,
> > > when the engine size was increased from 1296cc to 1500cc reliability
> > > went down the tubes.  The thrust washers would fail causing the rods to
> > > move sidways, finally the rod bearings would fail.  This was happening
> > > within 20-30,000 miles.  Something to watch out for in the late Midget.
> >
> > Now, I'm no Midge guy, but it's my understanding that the 1296 Midge
> > engine is the BMC A Series, while the switch to the 1500 powerplant was
> > actually a switch to the Triumph Spitfire motor (when was this?  1975 or
> > so?).  If so, the above statement is quite misleading, and truth rightly
> > places the blame back in the Triumph camp.
> >
> > Right?  Wrong?

OK, there was no 1296 Midget engine. The A-series was 1275.
However, the SPITFIRE engine was increased from 1296 to 1500 in 1973.
This is what Kelvin is referring to.
Midget people don't know about this becase they didn't see the engine
until 75 in the rubber Midget.

The 1500 engine is actually not that bad for cruising, my friend has a
Spit 1500 and it has nice torque.   It does have the infamous "death
rattle" at startup though :-)

                                                           '67 Sprite