Re: The Sacred Octagon/The Bulletin

To: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Subject: Re: The Sacred Octagon/The Bulletin
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:04:45 -0500
Chip Old wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Geoff Love wrote:
>
> > Thank you, but no thank you.  Would that I had the time. The articles
> > written by Chip Olds were and still are, invaluable.  It is sad he is no
> > longer in a position to be able to make contributions of that nature.
> > That, to my mind is the real stuff a club magazine is made of.  I have
> > two copies, one for my workshop bench and one for the den.
>
> And I hope the copy in your workshop is covered with greasey
> fingerprints, indicating lots of practical use.  That's what I wrote all
> that stuff for.
>
> What blows my mind is that I did it all with a typewriter and gallons of
> white-out. Remember those?  No cut and paste, no delete key, lots of
> botched pages balled up and thrown on the floor.  If personal computers
> had existed at the time, I might have stuck it out longer.  Oh well, that
> was a long time ago, but I'm glad to hear that T-Type folks out there
> are still finding it useful.

> Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
> Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
> fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
>
> If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
> quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.

Dear Mr. Old.  What a delight to realise you are here in Cyberspace, or
whatever the current gobbledookspeak is for this medium.  I can assure
you the one on my bench is covered in greasy finger marks, that's why I
keep the second in my den to mull over when the wind blows and the snow
flies. Those articles are classics in their way.  Clearly written, full
of practical information, and a wonderful guide to owners about to
embark on maintenance jobs with which they are unfamiliar.

I certainly remember the days of the manual typewriter and the
whiteout.  Up until six months ago, I was still there, then my wife
insisted we got this contraption.  Scares the pants off me, still make
awful blunders which bring the heavens down upon my shoulders, (although
that is not always the fault of the machine!).

May I wish you lots more happy MGing, and

THANK YOU>

Geoff Love, The English Connection