WHY BRITISH?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: WHY BRITISH?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:11:21 -0800
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:25:14 -0500 (EST) RFeibusch@aol.com writes:
>Dear Listers,
>Anyone out there ever analyze what elements in your
>childhood are responsible for your interest in British
>cars?

This could get long, I'll try to restrain myself.

Back in the late `50's my mom didn't drive so the only family car was always
something huge, room for five. When she did learn she took over the land
yachts and my dad ran through a twenty year long string of commuters.  They
were, without exception, LBC's.  There was a seemingly never ending string
of Morris Minors, Travellers, Minis, Cambridges, a Vauxhal (!), Zephrys and
Consuls. That's were it came from for me; environmentally induced.

In 1966 we left the city and moved to the sticks.  My dad got a `54 (I
think) A30 with absolutely no brakes simply by towing it home from an
uncles. We turned into a `tooley basher', crashing through the hay fields
and using the odd stump as an emergency brake.  It taught a neighbourhood
full of kids to drive.  My first car was a `64 Tri**ph Herald, a big hit due
to it's funky features followed closely by a `66 Sprite and then a new `76
B.  Since then I've had at least one and occasionaly as many as four MG's
somewhere close to hand.

I once posted the story of exactly when and where I decided I had to have a
TC so I won't tell it again but I will tell you that I am truely blessed in
a special way.  My wife grew up with LB (and BB) C's too.  She knew all
about the Prince, she knew how to smack a fuel pump, she knew how to use a
body jack before we met, she knew the difference between a hood and a bonnet
and what a sidemarker was.  It was a match made in Heaven, she loves the
MG's as much as I do.  She insists on driving the TC at least part time on
road trips and, if I have another commitment, she'll fill the TC with kids
and drive to local All British Field meets and spend the day just as I would
chatting and snapping photos.  If we had the resources (and the room) I
would never hear a negative word from her for dragging home another LBC
orphan. All I've gotta do is win a lottery.......

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT