RE: WHY BRITISH???

To: RFeibusch@aol.com, RFeibusch@aol.com, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: WHY BRITISH???
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 14:14:34 UT
I suppose there are many reasons why British -- here are some:

1.  I'm 2nd generation American with many relatives in the "old country"
Scotland - so perhaps it's in my blood (along with tossing the occasional
telephone pole and eating dried blood) but more likely it is because in my
visits back and forth (during the late 60s) to see relatives and such, they
all drove these really neat cars.  My Auntie drove a mini, had an uncle that
drove a Rover that looked like a Bentley, the cops drove Jags and the taxis
where virtual limos. The Brits had this thing with their cars, different than
American Chrome, but very alluring nonetheless  - Also the money looked
strange (3p was a six sided coin, a penny was huge) and all the people talked
funny  - "Aye laddie, ya cannie do what ya cannie do - do ya ken me lad???
(translation "where's the bathroom"  -- OK. OK - just kidding).  Now my grand
parents had accents but nothing like this!!!  All in all, I guess I became
enamoured with my roots - and part of that is the cars they drove.

2.  One time my older brother brought home 2 AH 3000s from college and asked
me to sell them because he thought he could get more money for them on Long
Island than in upstate NY.  I did not have a license at the time (15 years
old) but I loved their sound and sitting in them pretending to drive.  I
suppose the extra $50 bucks was worth it and my brother gave me $25 -- do you
think the guy who purchased both for $350 thought he got a good deal????
(makes me want to cry whenever I think back on that).

3.  When I was 19, I almost bought an AH 3000 for $1,200 but it needed shocks
and was a bit pricey so I went with the other car available to me -- a 67
primrose B for $500.  Well the 67B was a fantastic car and I fell in love with
it - I ended up selling it a year later for $300 and the guy had to tow it
away - but what a year - I was hooked.  Of course it took another 15 years
before I got my hands on another LBC but since then I have not looked back.

Well - that's my 3p worth,

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT