Re: WHY BRITISH???

To: MG Newslist <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "David F. Darby" <dfdarby@juno.com>
Subject: Re: WHY BRITISH???
From: Wayne Buletza <rwbmg@voyager.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 21:07:25 -0800
My love started with a '52 TD Matchbook car - white.  I used it as a
part of my HO train layout.  It was followed by a yellow TF and a black
MGA.  They were neat.

Fast forward six or seven years.  I'm 17 and a family friend lends me a
bug-eye sprite (blue - no side curtins or top or mats or ...) to use on
the weekends maybe once a month during summer.  I was hooked.

Two years later, I bought a new '67 Sprite from a dealer in Hackensack
NJ.  A different kind of Sprite to be sure, but a real charge!  I packed
it inside and tied a trunk to the rack and off I went to California.
Stopping in Michigan to see my parents, the Sprite was behaving badly.
According to the MG dealer in Kalamazoo, the dealer in NJ did not prep
the engine properly. (didn't pre-torque)  There was "some" damage that
was supposedly repaired under warrenty.

The trip to San Francisco was hot, hot, and hot.  Kept a ice chest and
wash cloth to wipe my face with.  Found that I had to keep the top up
alot if I wasn't going to bake!  Once past Tahoe though, the top came
down and rarely went back up for the next year!

In San Francisco, I fell in with the MG Owner's Club.  They taught me a
great deal about the heritage of MG and were tolerant of my Austin.
Jarl was the tech chair at that time.  Finally, Mary and I (just
recently married in '68) bought a '68 B, Tartan red.

Interesting enough, I negotiated the purchase of a '67 for my brother.
I got him a tonneau, an AM/FM, wire wheels, an Abarth and a wook shift
knob.  (He had to pay for the overdrive!)  When I went to negotiate at
the same dealer for myself, I got a tonneau, an AM radio and nice disc
wheels!  Heater was $60 as I remember.  The down payment includes Mary's
65 Barracuda, a portable typewriter, a stereo and a portable tape
recorder!

The Sprite sat in consignment for six months.  I took it back and sold
it within two weeks.

In California, there was always something to do with our club or another
almost every weekend.  Tours, rallies and camping trips to the ocean or
to the mountains.  At 21, how could life get any better?

In 1970, we moved to Michigan to attend college and never left.  Our B
has well over 100,000 miles.  Its been back and forth across the country
four or five times.  Mechanically, it has been outstanding.  I never,
ever thought about selling this car.  I attribute this attitude to the
members of the MG club who had such a love for their cars.

It was our only car for three years and hauled lumber, cinder blocks and
groceries.  For another eight years, it was my daily driver reliably
getting me around in rain, sunshine, mud and snow and hauling kids from
here to there.

The B is special.  It reminds me of my youth.  I feel free when I drive,
unencumbered by the limitations of responsibility, work, etc.  In '68, I
had given an Alfa and a Triumph a thought, but I can't now imagine that
I would have kept those cars.  Reason?  Our local MG club.  Its
wonderful to have friends who share your passion for all things
Octagonnal!

Best wishes

Wayne Buletza
Charlotte MI