RE: What does USR X2 stand for ?

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>,
Subject: RE: What does USR X2 stand for ?
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 97 04:32:44 UT
I hate to admit this but I know of what Kai speaks:

USR=U.S. Robotics - they mostly make modems (however they do make the best)

X2 is what USR refers to as a technology they have developed that will allow a
user to receive data at twice the speed of a 28.8k (that's 28,000 bytes a
second) modem - hence 56k.  This requires that whoever you communicate with
support the X2 protocol.  You can still only send data at 28.8k (or 33.3k if
you have recently purchased a new modem).  So it is limited in its use.  BTW -
the FCC only allows a maximum speed of 53K through standard (analog) phone
lines so watch out for the telephone line speed cops when downloading using
X2.

Analog - I'll just assume you all know what this means (In this context it
means a regular phone line, like what you have at home).

Oh No!!! I feel a propeller sprouting on the top of my head .....Regards,

jest another hick from PA

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT