Re: What does USR X2 stand for ?

To: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: What does USR X2 stand for ?
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:07:04 -0500
>While I understand and agree with some of John's argument, I must
>profess that as a member of the younger generation computers are not all
>that hard.  I was able to put together a superb presentation using
>Microsoft Powerpoint(presentation software) in a matter of minutes.
>It's easy for those of us to grew up with computers as toys.  For those
>of you who never had computers until you were more mature, I have one
>suggestion: sit down at your computer and play with it.  Try things
>out.  I've helped out a lot of older people with computers, and their
>first and only fear is of the computer.  You've got to experiment.  Much
>like many of you who tinker with your cars, you must tinker with your
>computer.  Five years ago, I had no idea how the ignition system
>worked.  Some neighbors and my dad taught me everything I know.  Same
>applies to computers.  It's had to figure out things at first.  Grab
>your 6 year old son or daughter and tell them to teach you how to use a
>computer.  I venture to guess they know a lot about computers.
>
>Many of my co-workers are dumbfounded by my ability to use computers.
>It's expected here at Georgia Tech.  It saves time, saves money, and it
>saves a lot of busy work.  I like that.  It gives my more time to work
>on my two MGs.  Lord knows I need it.
>
>Jay
>
>Jurgen Hartwig
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0003a
>Internet: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu

No argument Jurgen.  I use the computer efficiently and effectively.  I
have been a computer owner and user for 20 years.  I have also taught
computer courses in high school.  My concern is that there are many who
don't need or want the complexity and the depth of pre and post-learning
deemed necessary by the technologists who control the development of the
industry.  These technologists are like you - they understand implicitly
what they are doing and as a result they are not able to grasp the problems
of the non-computer-fascinated.  Children who grew up with TV don't read.
Children who grew up with computers still don't read but they play in a
different intuitive way.

It's easy to enjoy and use something you are enamoured of.  What happens
when you are not interested in playing with certain tools because you'd
rather be doing what you like to do - like playing with LBCs?  Many LBC
owners are not interested in turning wrenches.  This is why specialty shops
thrive. The depths of knowledge required by the PC crowd are more of a
passionate interest than a practical attempt to simplify and make
accessible what should be a basic thing.

I don't play with my TV or telephone.  I use them.  I don't need or want to
play with my Mac.  I use it intuitively because it was developed for people
who were not inherently interested in computer play.  I don't run out to my
garage and play with my wrenches.  I use them to do a job.  Let's hire
people who don't understand computers to explain to the technologists how
to design computers.  After all, the auto industry has done just that.

John McEwen

TRS-80
Apple 2E
Mac 128