Re: Trickle Charging

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trickle Charging
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:08:49 -0500
At 07:43 PM 3/18/97 -0500, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>Hello to all-
>
>Thanks to every one who has offered tips on door fit.  I got a lot of
>response, and some ideas to pursue.
>
>Another question came to mind today.  Got My J.C. Witless catalog today.
>I am not a big fan of most of their stuff, but this caught my eye.  It
>is a trickle charger (1Amp) that plugs in to the wall like a cordless
>drill charger.  It comes with the traditional big alligator clips, for
>connection to the battery posts, but also a cigarette lighter plug.
>This seems to be ideal for the maintenance charges that we need to do
>when the car is sitting for a couple of weeks.  A bout of spring fever
>and a 60 degree day convinced me to take Fergie out of storage a couple
>of weeks ago for a 2 hour spin.  Now I await the return of spring,
>having dealt with a severe ice storm last week, and sub freezing temps
>and the threat of snow this week.  Just went out to the garage and noted
>that my clock had stopped so this gadget sounds great for this kind of
>need. Sure would beat fumbling to get at the battery all the time.
>Anyone have any experience with one?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Chris Delling
>
>Chris Delling

 Chris, I have several from J.C. Whit. exactly what you described. I have
them plugged into a lamp timer, so they go on for two hours a day. The two
MGB's are hooked up to the lighter,(avoids going after the battery in the
back)  the other cars by the clips(no lighter) . It seems to work, but I
recommend the timer switch, as even a steady one amp can overcharge the
battery if left on for weeks and months steadily  Mike.