Re: Miatas

To: wkube@iadfw.net, ragthyme@fls.infi.net
Subject: Re: Miatas
From: Two00mph@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 23:18:20 -0500 (EST)
     I've owned MGB's, Frogeyes and Spridgets.... and a Miata... which I
bought for my wife because I was tired of having to go see why her TR-6
wouldn't start/run/shutoff/stop/etc.
     The Miata is actually quite faithful to the MGB concept.... a relatively
inexpensive unitbody roadster that offers reasonable good performance at a
fair price.  The Miata handling is exemplary (and close to neutral), the
shift action is the best I've ever driven....  Hers is an early  '90, which I
ordered with manual steering, and limited slip, and then added a stereo and
seven-spoke minilite copies.
      As the Miata ages, it actually takes on much of the B's persona.  The
top seals stop repelling all the water, the rear window zipper started to
stick, then rip...  there is an annoying electrical gremlin which began as
expired coil wires and finally manifested itself as a bad coil pack (the
dealer wanted to change the fuel pump....imagine).  The aftermarket solved
the exhaust note problem, and while not as easy to service (or modify) as a
B.... its a very good (updated) copy.... at 60,000 miles it has probably
weathered the miles in better shape than a B would have....  I guess thats
progress, and I cant say I hate it....   The best thing about the miata is
that it singlehandedly rejuvenated the market for LSC's (little sports cars)
and some of those Miata buyers may want to move UP into a B or a TR!  We can
only hope.         Mike