Re: Smogging the B -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Smogging the B -Reply
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:39:49 -0500
>Nolan,Nolan,Nolan...You seem to enjoy playing the game ,pulling the
>tricks to beat them,switching engines etc etc.I for one just want to
>drive my B and if I want to tweak it a little I will be able to do it.
>What I've been trying to say IS lets get rid of this legislation so we
>DON'T have to do all this crap!Lets get ourselves a PAC to buy votes
>Lets keep the pressure on the politicians to get sensible regulations on
>our cars.Playing games and "beating the system" won't get us anywhere.WE
>have to show them that older cars have very little impact on the overall
>picture and we MAY be willing to pay a fee to make up the smog license
>fee they may lose.If you don't like something ...YELL and SCREAM and get
>their attention other groups do and get favorable laws but just playing
>games with them doesn't get you anywhere,they don't even know you are
>doing it.

I like to know the rules, and learn how to manuever within them.  Helps in
traffic court, when dealing with beaurocracies, and life in general.  That's
why I'm forever haunting libraries, actually reading those laws and
regulations.  Then I know what they say, instead of the hearsay talk about
them.  Being an instinctive hussler, I also tend to promptly spot the
strange loop holes they leave in the laws and regulations.

I'm not particularly concerned about my 1980 Spitfire.  I'm putting historic
or street rod tags on it, and it isn't going to be a daily driver.  No big
deal.  If I really want a lbc daily driver, and I want to be left alone, I
guess I can make the sacrifice and go get a MGA, a TR2, a Morgan, a Healey.
A heavy price to pay (add melodramatic sighing here), but one I could do.
<g>

Personally, I'm not a big fan of simply doing away with pollution laws.
I've decided I rather like being able to go fishing now.  Not only can I
catch fish, but I can actually eat them.  Same hunting.  I've also decided I
rather like seeing the horizon most days, and don't miss the gunk that used
to come out of my nose when I'd blow it.  I  think going back to those old
days of no regulations and laws would be a bad move.  But I would like to
see more emission compliance laws that are slanted towards you having a
standard to meet, and leaving you to determine how you get there.  I find it
rather stupid to have laws that make it illegal to put a cat on a car that
did not normally have one because you're a thoughtfull sort of fella (it is
illegal here in Maryland btw under certain conditions).

As for not letting big brother know what I'm doing to out hussle him, you'z
damn skippy I ain't gonna tell 'em!  The last thing I want is special
attention when I get checked, or for them to change the loopholes I'm playin
with.  But I do fight.  I'm not silent.  Not by a long shot.  I just don't
feel like telling them how I out manuver them.