Re: 1978 MGB - Mallory Distributor

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: 1978 MGB - Mallory Distributor
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 20:05:43 -0500
On my '79B the vacuum advance was on the manifold, not the ZS carb.  I
put a Weber down on it, and the manifold had no port other than for the
brake booster.  For a while, I ran no vacuum advance, just the
mechanical.  If set for 15 deg advance at idle, I would get pinging
under acceleration at higher rpms.  The Weber has two vacuum
connections, but measuring with a meter showed that both were ported
vacuum, not manifold vacuum.  I drilled and tapped a fitting into the
manifold near the carb, and connected that to the distributor.  Better
response at low rpms when the throttle is open (low vacuum), no pinging
under acceleration (again, low vacuum when the throttle plates are
open).

As far as the "perverse vacuum retard" on emission MGs you mentioned,
there is a vacuum valve/solenoid assembly mounted on the pedal box.  It
is activated by a switch on the transmission engaged in fourth gear.
This switch allowed the vacuum valve/solenoid device to apply vacuum to
the dizzy only in fourth gear.  I guess (but not sure) that it released
the vacuum (allowed air in) when not in fourth.  The vacuum line is not
connected, but the valve is mounted just to have somewhere to put the
connector from the wiring harness.

--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube