Re: new tires

To: David Councill <dcouncil@inetco.net>
Subject: Re: new tires
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi David Councill!!

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, David Councill wrote:

> Is there a benefit to the larger tires?

Yup, all things being equal, it takes longer to wear them out.
THEORETICALLY, the larger ground contact patch will yield better
control ("sticktion"); but you become more suseptible to
hydro-plaining, and wheel patter due to the increased weight.

> I have always believed that smaller tires yielded better handling. But my
>165s on my 71BGT are old and close to bald. And I now found 165R14 tires to be
>rare or nonexistent in my area (MT).

So do I, but my son feels differently, and he's bought the last set of
tyres...

> Should I worry? And what would a 195 do to my car in terms of handling?

No worry, but the 195's, in my humble opinion, turn the "B"'s
light, responsive steering into a slug.  Don't believe me??  try
parallel parking with 195's; you can really feel the difference.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen