Tell me it aint so!

To: buckley@mesastate.edu
Subject: Tell me it aint so!
From: Mark Iansiti <MTI1971@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 01:30:04 +0000
Jim said...

>Also, tracing out the other way, the temp sender is mounted in the head
>rather than the radiator - is this normal?  The "tube" running from the
>temp sender is partially missing.  The manual that this thing is filled
>with mercury??????  Are they available?  I could not find in the Vickie
>catalog, nor the Mini Mania.
>
>Thanks for any ideas/tips
>
>Jim                    buckley@mesastate.edu
>

>'70 Midget

OH MY GOODNESS (Stronger explative intended), You are right, VB doesn't list
that sending unit/line/cable/thermo-couple... I just pulled the engine in my
70 Migdet to replace the clutch (going well so far, thank you for your
concern) and the fitting in the block could not be separated from the
fitting on the end of the ..thermocouple?...so I v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y
unbolted the fitting from the block while gently twisting the
...thermo-couple?...All is well at this point, BUT, I now have to v-e-r-y
c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y wrench that puppy back in once the engine goes back in.
The 64 thousand dollar question is.. will it twist enough just one more time
- and if it doesn't what can be done?

Is it in fact, really filled with mercury?  If it breaks on the way in, can
a replacenment be found?  Don't mean to sound anything but 'british car
cool', but I've had one b*tch of a day and I had put this little problem
behind me...but I'm almost done, and I will have to deal with it, and JIM
had to bring it up... Thanks Jim!

At least we can both get an answer now... on the other hand, mine could go
in without a hitch......ya, right.

Any ideas?
Mark
70 Midget