Pondering resurrection of MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pondering resurrection of MGB
From: Martin Ouimet <rubicon8@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:51:25 -0700
Howdy all,

First posting here, so please be kind.

I'm considering resurrecting an MBG that has been sitting in my mother's
garage for about seven years (She's the original owner!). The last time it
ran was in the spring of '89, when my brother took it to his senior prom.

I'm guessing that the batteries are totally gone, the tires will need
replacing, and everything's gonna need a little bit of fiddling to get her
to start up again. I drove the car some, back when it was still running, and
got to play around under the hood a lot, replacing pumps, changing plugs and
hoses and the like. I'm a bit worried though, that bringing it back to life
after this extended dormancy might be beyond my (extremely limited) abilities.

So my question(s): Can you offer me some tips or suggestions for *important*
things to look for when I go to it? In other words, stuff that would be
obvious to an MGB mechanic, but totally missed by a novice like myself. One
thing somebody suggested might have happened is that the fuel could have
turned into gel after sitting for so long (no, nobody drained the tank, or
anything else for that matter.) Is this true? If it's not, then stop
laughing. Another specific question: I read somewhere on team.net that you
could replace both 6v batteries with a newer (read:better) 12v. True? If so,
disadvantages? It's stuff like that I'm interested in.

Also, is there a number I can call to request a Moss catalog, or anybody
else in the San Francisco Bay Area who specializes in British Car parts?

I will most certainly appreciate any and all of your suggestions. Sorry I
don't have any useful information to offer in return, but I'm just getting
started. Now if any of you want to know about cameras...

Thanks,

Martin Ouimet  -- rubicon8@concentric.net