RE: Pondering resurrection of MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Pondering resurrection of MGB
From: Martin Ouimet <rubicon8@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:17:59 -0700
Howdy All,

Well, there was certainly a flurry of informative and useful responses to my
earilier inquiry. Man alive, I never know there were so many of you out there!

In any case, I've spent plenty of time sifting through the plethora of good
suggestions, and spent an evening with the Moss catalog. What I've come up
with is the following list of "must-do" items, as well as a list of the
necessary parts. Not to burdon you folks with too many of my questions, but
could you give a quick once-over and see if I've missed anything? The intent
is to spend 2-3 solid days covering most of this stuff, and hopefully get it
into reasonable operating condition. Also, I'm planning on getting the parts
at Moss, since the car is only about 1hr. from their Goleta warehouse.
Anybody ever gone there in person to pick up parts? Is there another
distributor you would recommend? Again, Thanks ever so much!

Resurrection of a 1970 MGB, after 7 years of inactivity:

1.) Buy a workshop manual (or dig up the Haynes manual my mom probably has
stuck behind all the Betty Crocker books) Any suggestions on better manuals?

2.) Fuel System:
Drain fuel tank (and pray the old fuel isn't goo.) Replace fuel filter--and
insert additional clear plastic in-line filter under the hood. Replace
rubber fuel hoses (tank to pump feed, pipe to main feed, carb to carb.)
Clean out carbs--better to pull them and do a complete tear down, or just
spray some de-gunker to start?

3.) Cooling System:
Drain cooling system. Replace upper and lower water hoses to radiator.
Replace water pump belt. Flush with cleaner.

4.) Brakes:
Replace rubber lines in brakes. Replace pads. Replace rear cylinders.
Question about the master cylinder--if it's working, you think it's okay
just to replace some of the seals in there? A new MC is close to $200!

5.) Clutch:
Replace clutch hose. Replace clutch master cylinder (necessary?
recommended?) Replace seals in slave cylinder. Assuming the clutch is not
frozen, is it a good idea to replace the disc? And if so, do I have to drop
the engine to do so? I guess I can find that out in the manual.

6.) Ignition:
Replace cap, rotor, points, plugs, plug wires and battery (group 26
12volt--somebody recommended Exide from Kmart)

7.) Oil:
Replace oil hoses. Replace filter-to-block hose. Replace filter. Somebody
recommended verifying oil pressure, and priming oil pump with a grease-gun
(a new one, of course.) Also, pulling the valve cover and verifying oilflow
over rockers. And tossing a bit of oil down the spark plug holes into the
cylinder.

8.) Tires:
I'm still wondering about the tires. I guess I won't know for sure until I
get down there, but here's what I know: New Michelins went on in 1989. There
can't be more than 500 miles on them. The car has been garaged the entire
time. What do you think?

9.) Miscellaneous:
Have at it with the grease gun. Top up oil in shocks (important?) Set all
good local radio stations into radio's memory. Pull out the choke and...........

Thanks for looking this over, and please let me know what I've missed!

martin ouimet
www.concentric.net/~rubicon8

Late one morning and bright one night, two dead men came out to fight,
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot one another,
The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came to kill those two dead boys,
If you don't believe my lie is true, ask the blind man, she saw it too...