Re: Pondering resurrection of MGB

To: bugide@juno.com
Subject: Re: Pondering resurrection of MGB
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:00:39 EDT
On Fri, 16 May 1997 17:47:44 EDT bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
writes:
>Well, Martin, you sound like you have more sense than that but
>apparently you do not!!  OK, here you go"
>       a.  Replace or rebuild every single hydraulic thing in the
>car.  Older is not better where brakes are concerned.  Same thing for
>the clutch.
>       b.  Yes, drain the gas tank, without fail. Take it to a
>reliable radiator shop for cleaning and an opinion. If it is a rusty
>mess, start over w/ a new tank.
>       c.  The 12 volt battery is the way to go.  Your only problem
>will be the physical size of the battery.  Someone will jump up and
>tell you the right size.
>       d  Change all the belts and hoses, including the little one
>that you will be tempted not to change.
>       e.  Tires are a must, as well.  They may look OK but like Bob
>Allen, years of inactivity have taken their toll.
>
>       That ought to get you through the weekend.  Get back w/ us
>next week and we'll give you instructions for next weekend.
>
>Larry Dickstein
>bugide@juno.com

An excellent post Larry - listen to it Martin BUT, dont be tempted NOT to
do it
We are now ALL watching you! (misery loves company)
Two slight disagreements, -  1)unless the tank is rusted through it is
almost certainly salvageable (the tank on my parts car, idle for 14 years
was pristine and the gas was still liquid) 2)tyres are the very last job
- when everything else is finished and then only if theyre worn out!!

mike robson
69 roadster (with parts car tank and VERY old tyres)
70 BGT
72 roadster (spiffy new tyres last year)