Re: turn signal woes

To: mikeells@alpha.shianet.org, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: turn signal woes
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 23:28:32 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-21, Mike Ellsworth wrote:

> I took my 71 Midget out for a drive tonight, and noticed that my right turn
>  signal doesn't blink. The lights all come on, front, back, dash,etc...,
but
>  it doesn't blink. I can blink them on and off with the turn signal lever.
>  The left turn signal works fine, as do the hazard lights on all four
>  corners. It was dark when I got home, and I didn't have time to check it
>  out. If the flasher was bad, would the left signal work, or if there is a
>  bad ground (my 1st thought) would the 4-ways flashers all work? Could this
>  be something in the signal lever itself, or would the lights not come on
at
>  all? All opinions welcome.

Mike:

There is a difference between the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher.
The turn signal flasher is designed NOT to flash if one bulb is out (or has a
bad connection). The hazard flasher, on the other hand, is designed to flash
no matter how many lights are out. Both design features are for safety
concerns. If a turn signal bulb is out, the lack of flashing warns you of the
condition so you can replace the bulb. The hazard flasher continues to work
with a bulb out, because you need whatever lights you have to work right
then.

You apparently have a weak bulb on the right side. Either that, or a bad
connection. I would replace the bulbs first. If replacing the bulb doesn't
fix the problem, then cleaning the bulb holder is the next step, followed by
cleaning the connectors in the circuit to the bulb. When you replace the
bulb, make sure you get the right one. If you get a bulb that is too small
wattage, it may not draw enough current to operate the flasher. The flasher
consists of a bimetallic strip and a heater element. Current through the heat
element in the flasher heats up the bimettalic strip, causing it to bend.
When it bends, it opens an internal switch, shutting of the currrent. When it
cools, the switch again closes, and the cycle starts anew. If the bulbs don't
draw enough current, the heater element won't get hot enough to bend the
strip, and open the switch. That's why the lights come on, but don't blink.

If all four lights work with the hazard flasher, then you most likely have a
bad connection in one of the right hand lamps. The bulb is coming on, but not
pulling enough current to operate the flasher

Hope this all makes sense.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/