Re: turn signal woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: turn signal woes
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 07:45:33 -0800
>In a message dated 97-05-21, Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>
>> I took my 71 Midget out for a drive tonight, and noticed that my right turn
>>  signal doesn't blink. The lights all come on, front, back, dash,etc...,
>but
>>  it doesn't blink. I can blink them on and off with the turn signal lever.
>>  The left turn signal works fine, as do the hazard lights on all four
>>  corners.
>>  All opinions welcome.
>
>Mike:
>
>There is a difference between the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher.
>The turn signal flasher is designed NOT to flash if one bulb is out (or has a
>bad connection). The hazard flasher, on the other hand, is designed to flash
>no matter how many lights are out.
>
>You apparently have a weak bulb on the right side. Either that, or a bad
>connection. I would replace the bulbs first. If replacing the bulb doesn't
>fix the problem, then cleaning the bulb holder is the next step, followed by
>cleaning the connectors in the circuit to the bulb. When you replace the
>bulb, make sure you get the right one.
>
>If all four lights work with the hazard flasher, then you most likely have a
>bad connection in one of the right hand lamps. The bulb is coming on, but not
>pulling enough current to operate the flasher
>
>Dan Masters,
>Alcoa, TN

I had the same problem on '70 B, if they are wired the same way it could
also be the hazard switch. Try taking the switch out and spraying some
electrical parts cleaner, toggle the switch back and forth while doing
this. A lot of crud can build up inside of these switch in 20+ years.

Good luck,
Lane