Re: turn signal woes

To: laner@teleport.com
Subject: Re: turn signal woes
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:00:50 -0400 (EDT)

<< Subj:        Re: turn signal woes
 Date:  97-05-22 11:43:17 EDT
 From:  laner@teleport.com (Lane Rollins)
 Sender:        owner-mgs@autox.team.net
 To:    mgs@autox.team.net

 >In a message dated 97-05-21, Mike Ellsworth wrote:
 >
 >> I took my 71 Midget out for a drive tonight, and noticed that my right
turn
 >>  signal doesn't blink. The lights all come on, front, back, dash,etc...,
 >but
 >>  it doesn't blink. I can blink them on and off with the turn signal
lever.
 >>  The left turn signal works fine, as do the hazard lights on all four
 >>  corners.
 >>  All opinions welcome.
 >
 >Mike:
 >
 >There is a difference between the turn signal flasher and the hazard
flasher.
 >The turn signal flasher is designed NOT to flash if one bulb is out (or has
 >bad connection). The hazard flasher, on the other hand, is designed to
flash
 >no matter how many lights are out.
 >
 >You apparently have a weak bulb on the right side. Either that, or a bad
 >connection. I would replace the bulbs first. If replacing the bulb doesn't
 >fix the problem, then cleaning the bulb holder is the next step, followed
by
 >cleaning the connectors in the circuit to the bulb. When you replace the
 >bulb, make sure you get the right one.
 >
 >If all four lights work with the hazard flasher, then you most likely have
 >bad connection in one of the right hand lamps. The bulb is coming on, but
not
 >pulling enough current to operate the flasher
 >
 >Dan Masters,
 >Alcoa, TN

 I had the same problem on '70 B, if they are wired the same way it could
 also be the hazard switch. Try taking the switch out and spraying some
 electrical parts cleaner, toggle the switch back and forth while doing
 this. A lot of crud can build up inside of these switch in 20+ years.

 Good luck,
 Lane >>

Lane--a common problem.  Run a hot line to each socket to check out the bulb,
ground, etc.  If you get light with this test, very likely the connections to
the turn signal are switched.  Green--power in to switch; green/blue--power
out to left hand side; green/yellow--power out to right hand lights.  If you
reverse green and green/yellow you will power left hand side, but right hand
side will be dead.   Hope this helps.  John Trifari  1980 MGB  /1955 Healey
BN1/  looking for a 350cc AJS.