Re: Tire PSI

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Tire PSI
From: Eddie Sheffield <sheffield@telos.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:04:38 -0400
Todd Mullins wrote:

> Kai  Radicke writes:
>
> > NEVER fill the tires to the max PSI, always use the PSI that is recommended
> > by your Owners manual.  I learned this one from watching reruns of
> > MotorWeek!
>
> Yes, Kai's right.  Optimum tire PSI depends not on the particular tire,
> but on the overall weight and weight distribution of the car.  The idea
> is to keep the tire's contact patch consistent.  Too little or too much
> air distorts the tire's contact patch, thereby reducing it.

Does this hold true for tires and wheels that are bigger/smaller than
those originally supplied? Obviously the weight and distribution would
be the same, but would different tire/wheel combinations react to this
weight distribution differently and require some other PSI to maintain a
proper patch?

Eddie