Re: Tire PSI

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Tire PSI
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 16:07:29 -0400
Robert Allen wrote:
> But I was sorta thinking it was my car, my tires, and my money. If I
> found a quantum difference in how my car rides or handles then the right
> answer would be a) any setting that does not exceed the tire
> manufacturers notice and b) that I like.

  I definately agree with this.

> I did notice at Chanute that the wider the tires, all things being
> equal, the slower the car. Wind resistance I suspect.

  Well, there is actually more friction on the wider tires. A
larger contact patch gives more grip, but if you aren't burning
rubber and you aren't sliding out at corners, you have
enough grip. For a non-prepared LBC, the power and roadholding
are not really in the category of needing giant grippy shoes
to contain us.

  Remember also that you can tune the handling of the car with
regards to oversteer and understeer by adjusting tire
pressures. This is part of the manufacturers settings. Many
cars do, my rice burner for example has four identical tires
all around on identical rims, but specify different pressures
to even out handling.

  I myself don't have that problem, one of my tires leaks. So
I have alternating high and low tire pressures. But I am
trying to live with these tires long enough to diagnose
any potential alignment problems after some work I did.

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /