Re: Tire PSI

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Tire PSI
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Richard M Morrison)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 00:43:41 EDT
On Fri, 23 May 1997 13:15:07 -0500 (CDT) todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
(Todd Mullins) writes:
>> I think you are basically right.  All the information I've read on
>> tires/pressures, etc lead to the conclusion that for a given car
>with
>> basically the same tire construction. (Wrinkle wall drag slicks
>being a
>> different matter) the operating pressure will remain basically the
>same,
>> only varying slightly (1-3 lbs) due to variations in actual tires.
>
>Thanks for confirming; I wasn't sure whether or not I was paranoid
>delusional...
>
>>  I'm running 195/60 X14 Pirelli's and am quite happy with the basic
>> pressures recommended by the owners manual. (27 F; 22 R). Although I
>do
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^
>> go up by about 5 lbs  for long distance freeway driving.
>
>Don't you mean "27F; 32R"?

Actually Todd, I meant 27 R; 22 F  This is only a bit higher than the
owners manual recommends for Radial tyres (Recommendations of 24 R; 21F).
 For me this is a good compromise setting, given the type of driving I
do. My tire wear is very good and even. My last set (P-6 Pirelli's) gave
me a bit over 30,000 miles before replacement was needed.

YMMV.

Rick
"I catagorically deny that good Scot's whiskey has anything to do with
any slips of the tounge"