Re: Dashpot oil

To: schooler@erols.com
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:19:38 -0400 (EDT)

<< And the corollary
 question, to all: why would anyone want to use something other than what
 the factory recommended?  (Engine oil) >>

Good question.  The only reason I started using 10w30 is that when I
purchased my first LBC, someone told me to use the same oil that is used in
the crankcase.  Well it just so happened that I had an oil can (pump type)
that I keep in my cabinet in the garage.  I've always kept 10w30 in it for
oiling lawnmower parts etc... I started out using the 10w30 and haven't had
any problems with my carbs, so why switch.

I did try Marvel Mystery Oil once, as an experiment.  It worked fine but I
tended to lose more oil with the lighter Marvel Mystery Oil so I went back to
the 10w30 which I only have to top off once every 4 weeks or so, instead of
every 2 weeks or so with the Mystery oil.  I'm not sure how much different
the 20 weight vs the 10w30 is.  Maybe not much.

Scott