Re: Dashpot oil

To: reecau@whidbey.com
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 16:06:08 -0700
Jerry Causey wrote:

> Bill Schooler asked:
>
> > We've seen this thread on a recurring basis.  And I've seen people say
> > the same thing you did.  What I want to know is just what you mean by
> > "good results"?  And what would be "bad results"?  And the corollary
> > question, to all: why would anyone want to use something other than what
> > the factory recommended?  (Engine oil)
> >

> In my case, although my GT isn't really a daily driver, because I take a
> bus-ferry-bus combo to work, it is a year 'round week-end driver. In the
> winter, even with our relatively mild daytime temperatures (mostly 35-45F
> range), I have experienced really bad throttle response until the engine bay
> warms up (about 8 to 10 miles of driving). I think this is due to over-damping
> at low temperatures, due to high fluid viscosity. A quick blipping of the
> throttle, such as when down shifting, doesn't have any effect on the engine
> speed. I've tried many fluids in my dashpots in an attempt to overcome this
> non-responsiveness, including, ATF, 5w-30 motor oil, Mystery Oil, and
> Penrite SU Oil (or whatever it is that Moss sells). None have made any real
> difference. My next attempt will be a 0W-30 synthetic motor oil, if I can find
> one. I've read about them, but none of the my FLAPS carries anything lower
>than
> 5W-30.
>
> Regards,
> Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
> Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
> (fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)

Jerry,

(Note:  what follows is IMHO)  The reason that the different damper oils
you've tried failed to have any effect on throttle response is that the
damper action doesn't have anything to do with throttle response!  The
oil in there is to provide a resistance to the damper (and the
accompanying needle) rising, thereby creating a momentarily richer
mixture.  Voila - an accelerator pump!  The air flow - throttle response
- is modulated by the opening of the throttle discs.  If what you are
getting is "stumbling" upon application of throttle when the car's cold,
you probably need to use a bit more choke, or you're using TOO LIGHT
WEIGHT a lubricant in the dampers.  (Or the oil level in there is too
low.)

I just realized this is a rather curt message - not intended to be that
way!  Would be glad to discuss further.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/