Re: MGB Reliability

To: MLishego@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB Reliability
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 01:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hi ~Mike!!

On Tue, 27 May 1997 MLishego@aol.com wrote:

>  They like (Or maybe 'liked to') work and fiddle with their cars.  So, BL put
> in the dual carbs that needed to be adjusted every two weeks or so.  The

An old BMC mechanic once told me "the LAST thing you adjust on these
cars are the carburetors".  This holds true today.  I've found the SU's
to be extremely reliable.  Our '73 "B" is a daily driver, app. 25 k each
way in mixed highway (110 kph) and local (60 kph) speeds.

I DON'T buy cheap gas; I buy Exxon from a station with a high volume of
sales.  I run Bosch Platinum plugs, and K&N air filters, and I keep the
oil change intervals to about every three months.  I replaced the single
row timing chain with the double row chain because of the ecessive spark
scatter making it impossible to tune the engine properly.  I check the
dwell of the points whenever I do the oil change.  I check the extra
fuel filter (clear plastic) for water whenever I change the oil.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen