Re: Best plugs to use - More curious questions

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Best plugs to use - More curious questions
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:49:06 -0700
Jay Quinn wrote:

> What type of plug for autox?
>
> I'm looking for a plug for use as
> a stop light battle/zippy performance
> gettting around type use..

Well, I started using Autolite Platinum's in my '66 Galaxie for the
same 'hard street' driving style. While being the oposite of a lbc,
it is a very harsh engine enviroment, and the Autolites do a fine job.
My Galaxie is getting close to 11:1 compression, plus can pump a lot
of gas out of the carb-and the valve seals are getting old (ie fouling).
Normal plugs were alright for about 3,000 miles,  Autolites last about
9,000, with no misfiring and never any fouling. FYI, the only reason I
initially switched to Autolite is that Bosch doesn't make a platinum
plug for the Ford 390 engine. I was pleasantly suprised, and switched
my wifes Audi(talk about autox/agressive driving!!!) to Autolites.

I used to prefer Bosch Platinums, but I read that the spark jumps
from the edge of the + part of the spark plug, the sharper the edge
the better, and the larger the circumference the better. Bosch P's used
to be the best plug, but their wire core is just too small to compete
with a plug with a full size platinum core.
I'll bet you'll see Bosch switch to a full size platinum core within the
year or so....

I like NGK's too, but haven't used them in a car yet. I had a two stroke
dirt bike that would burn up spark plugs, only the NGK's could take
the heat. NGK is 'real' stainless steel too, not like Champion that still
gets rust spots (a peeve of mine).

I would start with the stock heat range of spark plug, maybe switch to
one size colder if your really getting the heat on.
Sometimes I will run one size hotter in a engine that burns oil or
has fouling problems. Read your spark plugs to be sure you're in the
proper heat range.
I can run out to the garage to look at the Autolite plug numbers,
if you want.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"