Alternative carburators to the SU?

To: MG Mail List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternative carburators to the SU?
From: "Rollins, Dan" <dan_rollins@technologist.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:00:54 -0700
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting to this group after lurking off and on for a
few months, so allow me to give a little personal intro.

I own a wonderful little 68 B.  The PO had begun the restoration
several years ago when it was only a rusted out glimmer of potential.
After rebuilding the engine and boring it out to 1950cc, replacing the
floor and interior, he fell in love with a Jag crying for restoration
(and a LOT of money), which is how I ended up with my B.  I am hoping
to slowly finish the good work he began, but I am going to have fun,
particularly since somewhere in the distant past the chassis
identification plate was removed and lost.  Oh, well, I am not looking
for concours restoration, I am looking at modernizing the suspension
and power plant for a road race level performance.

My problem is the carburators were tired out, so I decided to rebuild
them.  I discovered a PO put HIF4 carbs on it.  I have decided to
revamp the ignition and fuel systems (electronic ignition, new carbs
and fuel feed lines, etc.)  I have been considering getting a Weber
downdraft.  Does anyone have any experience with these carbs?  Do
they give any added power and reliability? (Not that the SUs aren't
reliable . . .) :)

I have also heard about some people using an intake manifold that
allows you to use a Holley or Carter carburator.  Since I have only
heard these rumours through the grapevine (from my brother's uncle's
cousin's social worker :) ) I am curious if anyone has any info.

Thanks and Safety Fast,
Dan Rollins