Re: Alternative carburators to the SU?

To: dan_rollins@technologist.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alternative carburators to the SU?
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:18:55 -0500
At [Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:00:54 -0700]
"Rollins, Dan" <dan_rollins@technologist.com> wrote:

> My problem is the carburators were tired out, so I decided to rebuild
> them.  I discovered a PO put HIF4 carbs on it.  I have decided to
> revamp the ignition and fuel systems (electronic ignition, new carbs
> and fuel feed lines, etc.)  I have been considering getting a Weber
> downdraft.  Does anyone have any experience with these carbs?  Do
> they give any added power and reliability? (Not that the SUs aren't
> reliable . . .) :)

Here is what I have learned from my experience with my Weber 32/36 DGV,
which replaced the SU HS4's.

The Weber has an annoying flat-spot off idle.
The Weber has slightly better fuel economy, but not a considerable amount.
The Weber is maintenance free (ie-no oil to add, etc)
The SU's had more power through out the entire rpm range, according to
the seat of my pants.
The SU's were more aesthetically pleasing, as far as appearance

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu
http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke