Re: What about a Bugeye??

To: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Subject: Re: What about a Bugeye??
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:04:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 Wizzrd1001@aol.com wrote:

> So, while my dad was on business near Edinboro, Pa, he stopped at a place
> called BG something??  Anyways, he has a Bugeye, with ALL the parts to it,
> primed, ready for painting, for $2800, last time he started it, it started,
> the engine isn't seized or anything, what's everyone think about the Bugeye??
> It'd be ouf first one, but, we'd have help from friends who used to race them
> here in PA.
> Should we hold out for a possible Mini that my dad spied in NY?? Or have fun
> with the bugeye?? What are these cars like to repair, drive, own, whatever??

In standard form, Bugeyes aren't fast.  They are, however, pure pleasure
to drive at speeds up to about 55.  Over that, they get buzzy and the
pleasure starts to fade.  The handling is exceptional.  They are wonderful
for pottering around the countryside on secondary roads, but not highway
cruisers.  The best of all worlds would likely be a Bugeye with a later
1275cc engine and a 5 speed transmission.

When the car is in proper shape, the steering is fluid and very quick, the
transmission is precise, the engine makes suitable noises and seems faster
than it is, and the car is comfortable.  I bought mine because it was
there and cheap.  I doubt I will ever part with it.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629