Re: What about a Bugeye??

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: What about a Bugeye??
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:44:51 -0400
> In standard form, Bugeyes aren't fast.  They are, however, pure pleasure
> to drive at speeds up to about 55.  Over that, they get buzzy and the
> pleasure starts to fade.  The handling is exceptional.  They are wonderful
> for pottering around the countryside on secondary roads, but not highway
> cruisers.  The best of all worlds would likely be a Bugeye with a later
> 1275cc engine and a 5 speed transmission.
>
> When the car is in proper shape, the steering is fluid and very quick, the
> transmission is precise, the engine makes suitable noises and seems faster
> than it is, and the car is comfortable.  I bought mine because it was
> there and cheap.  I doubt I will ever part with it.
>
>    W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                   Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                   gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629

Mr Gibbons is right. I'd love to have a bugeye, but have settled for a
71 Midget for now. It has a slightly modified 1275 with the Datsun 5
speed conversion that Bill Perry sells. The trans makes the car much
more mannerly and the overdrive calms it down to a tolerable level on
bigger highways.

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN
71 MG Midget