Re: What about a Bugeye??

To: MG Mavens <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What about a Bugeye??
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Date: 20 Jun 1997 08:13:01 -0500
john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon) writes:

> Some guy where I work keeps telling me about a "mini cooper 1275 "
> motor. Is this the "mini " you guys are talking about ?

Yes.  A Mini Cooper is a hot-rod performance Mini named after John
Cooper, who got the whole "performance Mini" concept started
way-back-when.

> I don't know anything about minis, but if what this guy said was
> true ( a 1275 mg motor with crossflow head and special
> intake/exhaust setup for around 120 hp ) in a bugeye or spridget
> with one of these motors would be mighty fun indeed !

The motors (spridget and Mini) are both A-series, and use the same
parts, but are different.  One has 9 head-studs and the other 11, for
example.  The biggest difference is that a Mini has no oilpan, but
shares its oil with the transmission beneath it.  A Mini is
front-wheel-drive and the engine mounts east-west.

> Does anyone know if the guy from work knows what he's talking about ?

Probably.  Crossflow heads are available and desirable but not too
common.

Anyone interested in minis should join the mini-list by sending a
subscribe request to:

  mini-list-request@autox.team.net

Cheers,

--