Re: Seat Belts

To: Larry A Hoy <larryhoy@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:28:18 +0000
With all this seat belt talk hitting our group, here's a warning to
heed:

Put in a good set of shoulder belts in my 64B a few years back. No
problems. Fast forward to about a month ago and while turning into a
hard left hand turn that previously presented no problems, I hear and
feel this god-awful screeching-tearing-grating noise from the back end.
Thinking that my wheel was coming off the axle, I of course stopped to
examine what the hell happened. Looked under couldn't see a thing that
was hanging off, so I continued home.
Took it out again today for a run into town and damn if another hard
left-handed turn didn't set my molars grating with the noise again.
Okay, now I get serious. Get home, jack up the rear, crawl under and for
those who have been here, you already knew that I saw a bright groove
beginning on the back end of my driveshaft. The cause was the driver's
side seat belt anchor bolt hitting the driveshaft! The end was about
1/4" away from the shaft at rest but apparently there's a lot of side to
side play at the rear especially under hard turns.
I cut off the offending end so there is about 1" clearance on both sides
now. I'm really thinking about going for the Koni/Spax rear conversion
to stiffen the back and prevent all that motion. I've got new springs
and shocks about two years back.Any thoughts on keeping the rear from
moving?

Cheers,
Dave Houser