Re: Dick Criswell

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dick Criswell
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:46:14 -0500
For those people new to the list or to those who have not followed the
Alaska trek, here is a short review:

Earlier this year on the MG list, there was some talk about MGers
getting together to celebreate the summer solstice in Alaska. That is,
make it up to Alaska to watch the 'longest day' as the sun circles the
horizon all night. A bunch of people said they would go but, in the end,
only a few actually could break away. Here are some snipets from the
archives.

A very sad day. My sincerest condolences to the Criswell family and my
heart is out to those Alaska trekkers having to shoulder on.

Bob Allen, Kansas City

*************************************

BRTTS is assembled and heading North!

The following were camping together Saturday night at Cache Creek, BC

     Barney Gaylord - MGA - Naperville, IL
     Carol Risz - Same MGA - San Antonio, TX
     Bob Nogueira - Morgan +4 - Dallas, TX
     Dick Criswell - MGB-GT V8 - Camarillo, CA
     John & Gladys McNaughton - Morgan 4/4 - Los Angeles, CA
     Ross MacPherson - MG-TC - Vancouver, BC

***

Around 16:30 I found the rendezvous campsite and Dammit Dick waiting
patiently.  We renewed our aquaintance and had a pleasant evening at
camp. Saturday morning we decided to go into town for breakfast.  I
finaggled Dick into driving so I could get up close and personal with
his V8 GT.  We pulled onto the high way and Dick, like any proud owner
would, stood on it.  There was a stong pull right from zero but once the
revs built up a little it was awsome!  I simply must have one of these
before I die! Dick's car is Mineral Blue and, to my eye, a very faithful
copy of the factory cars.

***

Through shear serendipity, this weekend was Cache Creek's "Graffitti
Days". There were vintage Street rods from all over the province and
some from Washington and even a few from California.  The events
included a hot-rod field meet and Vintage Drag races at the NASCAR track
10 miles down the highway.  Dick and I took in some drag racing, my
first time.  Not my cup of tea but impressive as hell none the less.

***

On a sad note, I just received word that Dick Criswell was killed last
Friday, while on the Alaska trek. He lost control of his V8 MGB and
rolled the car. He was killed instantly.