Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold 1975 Midget

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold 1975 Midget
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:28:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bob Allen!!

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Robert Allen wrote:

> Adrian Jones wrote:
> >
> > Well, then I thought thats almost the price of a good used one, which is
> > almost the price of a nice new one, which is almost the price of a header.
> > So that leads me to start a new thread on headers.
>
> Oh boy. Here we go.
>
> The standard exhaust manifold for the dual-SU 'B' motors was a pretty

What did the '75 Midget have, the single carb, or was it dual carbs??

> efficient design; it is unlikely you can install a header and get better
> performance out of a fairly stock motor. Also, being cast iron, it tends

As dyno tested by Vizard on the Midget's "A" series engines, you're
right, the stock manifold is hard to beat with a stock engine.

> in hot weather and/or slow traffic. Finally, all headers are not created
> equal. The sheet steel that makes up the manifold seal can be somewhat
> thin and flimsy -- thus exhaust leaks are an ungoing maintenance
> headache.

"Bargain" headers WILL leak.  The head flanges are just too thin.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who bought a 3 into 1 tuned for 4000+ and wondered
                      why there was no street usable torque)