Re: TD Clutch Question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Question
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Jul 1997 13:03:03 -0500
In <33C2E909.52705B8C@ici.net>, Bud Krueger wrote:
>JHoltslag@aol.com wrote:
>
>>      Since I have have completed my TD restoration, I' ve had problems
>>
>> adjusting
>> the clutch linkage so the transmission fully disengages when the
>> clutch pedal
>> is depressed.  The TD is an early TD which should have a clutch cable
>> but the
>>
>> PO replaced the cable with the solid clutch rod found in later TDs.
>> Are the
>> clutch rod and the clutch cable interchangeable?  Is the same clutch
>> link
>> used
>> in both early and late TDs?  I ask because it seems as if the PO used
>> a "customized" (read "homemade") clutch link.  It acts as if the
>> "customized"
>> clutch link isn't long enough to disengage the clutch.  Any advice
>> would be
>> appreciated....  Joe Holtslag
>
>Hi Joe,        My TD (10855) is from the cable days. When I replaced the
>Volvo engine with a late '53 engine (#28839), I decided to use the rod
>system. The standard link has worked fine for me. The Abingdon Spares
>parts list gives a better indication of which parts are different among
>the two systems than does the Moss catalog.

If you have a brass cable anchor on your oil pan, a cable will be easy
to (re)install.  I prefer the cable to the rod because it is easy to
bend the threaded end of the rod if you push the pedal in too far.
One thing you might watch for is severe wear on the clevis pins and
secondary link.  This can loosen the linkage a lot and prevent proper
disengagement.  All of the bits are readily available from Abingdon.

                        A. B. Bonds