Re: TD Clutch Question

To: JHoltslag@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Question
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 06:57:08 EDT
Hi Joe,
  It appears in the workshop manual and in the parts book that they are
interchangable, and that the only differences are the rods vs the cable.
The cable-cars had a stop somewhere in the system so that the pedal
wouldn't go down too far. I forget where it is/was, though, yet wonder if
it might be preventing the pedal from moving far enough to give proper
clearance.
  If there is excessive slack in all the forks and pins, and the pivot on
the sump, a lot of pedal movement will be consumed before the movement
gets to the clutch. 1/16" here and 1/8" there adds to about 1/2" easily.
I had about 5/8" slack in my TD, couldn't get a proper clutch
disengagment, and didn't know what was wrong until Schach's book
suggested the repair.
  Let us know what you determine.
Bob  #5547
'52 TD MkII