RE: Best tire size for MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Best tire size for MGB
From: Rick Astley <ricka@mich.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:57:48 -0400
I don't know if it makes a difference if if you have pressed steel or wire
wheels. My 70 B has wires (Before the INTERNET WWW meant Wobbly Wire Wheels
- mostly on MG's). The originals were, if radials (according to the manual)
155SR-14. When I first got mine it had 185's on the back and I did get
clearance problems. I lived in Canada at the time and I could not get 155's
so they fitted 175/70 R14's which have been fine. I moved to the UK for a
couple of years and the dreaded MOT safety test forced me to change the
other two tires and they too fitted 175/70 R14's. I think the 175 means the
width of the tread is 175mm and 70 means the sidewall is 70% of 175mm high
and of course 14 is the inch size of the wheel.  185 mm tires might be
pushing it a bit, at  an 1-1/4 inch wider, but remember thats only 5/8 inch
extra projection. Since I fitted GT springs to my roadster I think I would
get away with 185's now. What I don't know is the best tire pressure to run
at, so I think I'll leave a question on that after this one.
Rick