MG Midget-Weird noises/accelleration-Q from a novice

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG Midget-Weird noises/accelleration-Q from a novice
From: Udhishtran Senathirajah <ingan@globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 16:58:59 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,
       I would be very grateful to you guys n girls pool together some
suggestions to the following problems I am at wits end:

My sis treated herself to a 1500cc 1978/9 MG Midget an year ago, which has
now started to give a loud rattle from around the center/back of the engine
bay, when accellerating from any speed, the sound can be likened to a wire
coat hanger caught by the fan, the rattle is loud and increases with the
revs- there may be an accompanying judder in the clutch pedal although I
cant be certain and I am not too keen to get back into that infernal
contraption to make sure.

My initial thaught was that the clutch is badly eroded- but there is no
clutch squeal when the drive is taken up. I have also considered the
tacho/speedo cable coming of and whipping around but the tacho/speedo is
reading normally.

A second problem that I find pretty unbeleivable in a so-called sports car
is the uncontrollable accellerator: When I drove her car today, I noticed
that there is seemingly an all or nothing response when the accellerator is
depressed. There is a small movement of the pedal(1 inch or so) against
gentle pressure during which there is no change in the engine revs, then
there is a definate second stage which needs a stronger press, when tripped,
the car shoots of at bowell emptying speed. The local MG mechanic suggests a
possible bent carb. needle (SU) and suggests an 80 pound fee to rectify it,
before I blow this money, can anybody else suggest other things to look
at?-bear in mind with your answers that this is a UK, RHD car so the cable
routings may be different-any UK  car drivers suffer the same malais?.

I personally drive a 1980 series 3 LightWheight Landrover- itself the pits
of agricultural engineering, yet I find the MG positively more crude,
hideous and uncontrollable to drive, this is surely not the normal
characteristic of a car so loudly hailed by you lot!!!

More Qs to follow

Thank You

Udhi

Please note that these are entirely my own opinions, If you readers see bits
that offend it is not meant to be so and is probably my genuine
misinterpretation.

Jiu-Jitsu lessons:
on multiple attakers and due force:
"better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"