Re: MGA questions

To: tallen@csc.sctboces.org
Subject: Re: MGA questions
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:31:53 -0500
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:06:53 -0400 (EDT) tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
writes:

>can't bleed the brakes with my mightyvac.  Is anyone familiar with the
>'snap' I heard?

No.

> Does the hole in the banjo bolt need to face any
>certain
>direction.

No.

> Is there just so much air that I can't get any suction
>with
>the mightyvac?

Despite other's postive experiences with it, I just could not get the
Mightyvac to work properly when I bled the brakes on my MkII.  I would be
interested to hear if anyone knows the secret to getting it to work on a
MGA.  I would pump and pump it, but it just didn't seem to be pulling the
fluid through like it should.  On some cylinders I would get a little
flow, but not enough to make a difference.  Given the troubles I have had
with all the "one man" systems, and I have tried them _all_, I have come
to the conclusion that there is no substitute for a helper.

>2)  When I start the beast, I have to pull the starter switch really
>hard
>and quick.

I think that is the normal procedure.  If I recall, the owner's manual
says to pull it "briskly."  My car, which has a relatively new switch,
requires the same quick, hard pull to get the starter to engage properly.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX