Re: Chroming Prices

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:52:43 -0400
At 10:44 AM 7/24/97 -0400, Jason F. Dutt wrote:
>I've found that it's almost always cheaper, on our cars at least, to just
>buy a new part.  The only time I've ever known anyone to chrome their parts
>was one of three situations:
>1.  The part is no longer available.
>2.  The part was never originally chromed.
>3.  The exception:  The new part is more expensive than a re-chromed part.
>
>Regards,

In this case, Jason, I beg to differ.  Most of the chrome parts you can get
from Moss and otherwise are cheap Taiwanese made parts with really terrible
chrome.  Instead of spending $100 or so on a new bumper, I'm going to have
it professionally rechromed for slightly more;  The quality of the finish
will be much better and last longer than the taiwainese equivalent

Besides, they don't make the split rear bumper that goes on my '70 MGB
anyway.

I would encourage listers to enlist the services of a competent chrome
plating shop and enjoy your new chrome, provided the expense is not too
great as Jason says.

Jay "no booming stereo" Hartwig