Re: Chroming Prices

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:48:32 -0400
Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> I'm getting these pieces from the TD re-chromed at the local chrome
> shop:
>
>         2 - headlight rims
>         2 - cowl brackets (holds the windscreen up)
>         2 - seat back brackets
>         2 - wheel arch retaining brackets
>         2 - wing nuts
>
> This is costing $180. Is this reasonable? Was chrome plating always
> this
> expensive, or is this the doing of our arch enemy the EPA? Well, I
> quess I
> shouldn't complain. A quick check of the catalogs shows it would cost
> far
> more to replace these parts.
>
> BTW, where has the chrome gone on new cars? Nary a glimmer to be seen.
> Is this
> a styling thing or a cost thing?
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
> rdonahue@holli.com
> 52 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB still in shop, 19 months and counting

  Hi Bob,
         Doesn't  sound unreasonable. Other parts that you probably will
want to have plated, rather than get new ones, are the chrome plates for
the side curtain nuts. I bought some new ones from Moss. First time I
used them the threaded stud pulled right out of the backing plate. The
swaging was far from adequate. The originals are much better. The plater
charged $10/apiece to do them. BTW, Moss took them back with a full
refund.
I now regret having purchased Moss' bumper face bars (they were on
sale). Been on the car for two years and are beginning to rust on the
back side.

Bud Krueger
52 TD #10855 (still under DIY restoration) NEMGTR #9826