Re: Ray Gibbons

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ray Gibbons
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 25 Jul 1997 16:38:15 -0500
In <Pine.SGI.3.96.970725140944.22662E-100000@mamba.bio.uci.edu>, John J.
Peloquin wrote:
>Dear Netters,
>
>According to what I read on the net, Ray passed away last week in the
>hospital. As a neophyte SOLer, Ray was of great assistance to me with his
>technical advice and encouragment. I will miss his posts and miss his
>generosity with his knowledge. Although we never met he made a
>positive impact on me as I am sure he did with many many others.
> As we were both scientists, I thought that perhaps
>some day we might turn up at the same meeting and be able to discuss our
>hobby. Sadly that will not happen.
>We will all miss Ray.

Over the last couple of years I felt that I was pretty much in synch
with Ray in a number of respects, being a crusty old fart, messing
with my iron and doing science now and then to keep the Masters happy.
I had a goodly number of exchanges with him both public and private
and always looked forward to his interpretation of the politics (with
respect to LBCs) of the day.  I would like to suggest that in his
honor we think about establishing an annual Golden Dremel Award (or
something like that) to be given to the most outrageous example of
bringing an LBC back from the dead.

Gonna miss you, buddy.

                                A. B. Bonds