Fuel challenge solved...?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fuel challenge solved...?
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:39:29 -0400
Well, here's the current dice on the fuel problem.

After I sent my question to the list, the car ran for a week with no
problems, so troubleshooting was a bit delayed (darn ;-)).  However, it
quit on me the other day, so I got to work.  The first thing I did was
start it again, to see if the symptom was going to stick around or not.  It
quit again in 3-5 minues.  I didn't get a chance to feel if the pump was
running or not when it quit (inopportune phone call).  I then checked the
connections to the fuel pump.  Basically all I did was remove the leads,
cleaned them up a bit, and put them back on.  The car ran for another week.
 It quit on me again yesterday.  I did my wire-jiggling again; it ran all
day yesterday.

Unless this all is just coincidence, I'm assuming I have an intermittent
short in either the leads or the terminals of the pump.  This leads me to
my next question:  Is there an easy and definitve way to replace the leads?
 How can I know how much wire needs replacing?  I'm descent with a
soldering iron, but I'd hate to do all the work just to find out I didn't
take enough wire off!

Regards, and thanks,