Re:Aging Hobby

To: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu
Subject: Re:Aging Hobby
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:02:06 EDT
On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 15:02:31 -0400 Jurgen Hartwig
<gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu> writes:
>At 08:15 AM 7/26/97 -0700, Rick Feibusch wrote:
>>This is an aging hobby (Hell, little Ricky will be FIFTY next year)
>and

>Yes, it is an aging hobby, but I hope that the other youngsters out
>there
>including myself help to keep MGs and old cars alive.  Forget the
>throw-away generation.  I'm here to stay whether they like it or not.

>Jay

We certainly need to see new blood on the tracks - it is encouraging to
see there are some of you out there  - probably only just born when the
marque went on hiatus (not counting maestros/minis and the like)
I had personal experience of this on saturday, I get my oil changed at a
local garage who also do all the bits and pieces i am scared of
mechanically (i.e.i see them quite a bit!) My 69 has been there for about
three weeks getting front shocks, my 72 was in for an oil change and i
was there in the GT just visiting so all my cars were in one place for
once. The owner is quite a buff himself and there was also an 80le there
for some work along with an MGA coupe, a TR6 and a Bentley all for sale.
In the space of about 30 minutes there had to be 30 people stop and look
at the cars several of which were younger guys in their late teens and
early 20s who all showed a genuine interest in the cars and in fact knew
a certain amount about them  - of course the owner and i windbagged them
to death whilst they were there but they were polite and genuinely
interested -one of them wanted to buy my 72 in the worst way (i guess a
summer-job money was burning a hole....) but since it isnt for sale he
seems to be interested in finding something similar - Ill try and help
him if i can.
All in all it was nice to realise that we blokes in their 40s are not
going to be the youngest kids around forever!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster