Re: The Calling

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The Calling
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:03:38 -0400
patrick bailey wrote:
> seems YOU don't get the point about the control that the government
> and agencies have over your life

  I'm very aware, but I don't feel threatened.

> We didn't need them to take care of us

  I also don't have this "us" and "them" feeling, which I think
is where it all stems from.

> If you don't want to wear seatbelts you should be able not to!

  Well, that has interesting tie-ins to national health care. Here,
I want seat belt laws. Personally, I wear them and think everybody
should. I don't see why anyone wouldn't, they are very unobtrusive
and save lives.

  However, to this point, I don't want my taxes paying for
expensive reconstruction surgery on my neighbor because he
didn't wear his seatbelt. Seatbelts don't just save lives, they
save money.

> these safety and pollution items on cars should have been driven by
> public demand not legislation

  That simply doesn't work. If everything was driven by public
demand, we wouldn't have taxes and nothing could every get
done.

  Watch how you treat a democracy. Maybe you like the little
plants on your lawn, but in a true democracy you could have
three neighbors with allergies and they could outvote you.

  The greater good and the good of the individual do not
necessarily align. Without a strong government to make
the decisions that need to be made, nothing gets done
because somebody somewhere will oppose.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada