Re: The Calling

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, DWADE REINSCH <dreinsch@tenet.edu>
Subject: Re: The Calling
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:00:28 -0500
My .02 spliced in below...

At 04:49 PM 7/30/97 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>DWADE REINSCH wrote:
>> Let me agree with Greg and add my .02 worth.  I believe, no matter how
>> much electric car/alternative fuel research is done, that we will
>> continue to use gasoline as our primary fuel until it is *completely*
>> gone.

Not quite, but close in my opinion.  That reminds me of something a friend
of mine used to say.  When he was tanking up his huge gas hog:  Whats gas?
Who cares how much it costs, burn it up until it's gone.  It's only gas,
you know, something better will come along.

>  Long before it is completely gone, it will become expensive, and
>the world will migrate to something else by choice, such as
>electric vehicles.

If not electric but some other non pertoleum based gas/liquid that can
propel.  What ever it might be.  I'm not complelty sold on electrics.

>  This reminds me of a similar discussion with vegetarians who
>say that if we keep eating meet, we'll all starve because
>to feed the cows takes so much farmland there will be a food
>shortage.
>
>  In both cases, supply and demand laws of money will save
>the day. When gas becomes $15/liter electric will seem
>pretty darn good. And when beef is $45/kg tofu will
>be darn tasty.

It seems when gas goes up, so will the price of electricity still not
making it the lesser of two evils by a wide margin.

I don't think electric as a fix all of locomotion problems is the silver
bullet.  There are still problems with it like Nuclear waste, oil, coal
burning as such.  Everything we use now seems to carry a price tag of some
kind.

I think there needs to be a serious leap of technologies that can not use
fossile fuels and electricity to create a vehicle to propel ones self.

Maybe, ...  Compressed air!  Just a thought.  But something else that
carries a lesser price tag of environment descruction should be in order.
I think it can be done.  Just get the gready fuel/electricity mongers out
of the way and let the inventions come about.

Q  -  Who owns all 2 cycle gas powered lawn equipmnet, so I'm no
environmentalist.

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net