Re: the calling

To: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>,
Subject: Re: the calling
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 01:15:19 -0400
patrick bailey wrote:
> Comparing cars to A bomb testing and thelidomide is
> rediculous!

  Perhaps you missed the link.

  The link is that people in the past did things that we
consider now a little stupid, because we have the benefit
of hindsight.

  It seems stupid to drop A-bombs so near the population
centre of Las Vegas, but it didn't seem stupid at
the time because they did not know.

  It seems stupid now to have a crankcase ventilation
system that consists of a pipe hanging below the car, but
it maybe didn't seem so stupid at the time.

> Just look around you do the new bumpers(mandated by
> "them")really work?

  From my own experience, I am pleasantly surprised that
they do. My daily driver is one of those integral bumper
cars where the bumpers look just like the rest of the
car. (Toyota Celica)

  About 4 months ago I was waiting to turn right
in a merge lane, and was rear ended fairly hard by
a woman in a honda. Hard enough to knock my cassettes
and personal items all over inside the car. Hard enough
to make me feel sick to my stomach as I walked back to see
the damage.

  The damage wasn't even a speck. Not even a scratch. I
measured all dimensions and checked all the "crumple"
zones and it is just fine.

> The very reason we love our LBCs is that new cars (mandated by
> them)are complicated overpriced machines with no soul

  Maybe the reason YOU like your car, but don't speak for us
all. I love both of my cars for a lot of reasons.

> that you can't work on yourself.

  That's a state of mind. I have only had one problem on my
"newer" cars that I couldn't do myself. Needed a body lift
to remove a suspension bushing that had seized up. Could
have happened to either car.

  You can't work on a newer car if you only know about
older cars and have some pigheaded refusal to learn
anything new. If you don't fit into that category, well,
grab a wrench.

> As for my them VS us mentality well look around .

  I see the mentality runs deeper than I thought. I understand
that you are not paranoid, that it's just that everyone
is after you.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada